Turbo V8 Rover-powered Mk5

List known surviving cars here
motorsportjohn

Turbo V8 Rover-powered Mk5

Post by motorsportjohn »

Does anyone have any information re this Davrian?

D1 5/4042 (registration number KKW 895P) which I believe may have been in the Crawley area when it was advertised on Ebay in 2015.

I look forward to more information.
Teddie2003

Re: Turbo V8 Rover-powered Mk5

Post by Teddie2003 »

Hello John,

this was also advertised on Uphill Racers around that time before it went onto ebay.

http://www.uphillracers.com/showthread. ... ht=Davrian

http://www.uphillracers.com/showthread. ... ht=Davrian

But no contact details or location were put on the postings.

Steve
robfromsomerset

Post by robfromsomerset »

From the Bring a trailer website (it was featured) his name would appear to be Paul Morris
robfromsomerset

Post by robfromsomerset »

But he did list an ad on this site for that car under the name Sam G15
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Sam Barker who I know through my G15 ownership did own it for a time but sold it last year, I'm not sure where it went but I can do some digging to find out.
Sam G15

Post by Sam G15 »

Yeah hello all,
I had the car for a year or so and it's a compelling and interesting thing. The fellow who actually built it had owned it since 1979 and as he wanted to try a different engine or configuration he just got on and modified the car. So it had at one point become a car with a flipped impreza running gear mated to a rear mounted v8 which was then re engineered for what ever reason to it's later mid mounted v8 with subaru gearbox (and rear output shaft closed off with a paracetamol pot). Everything was home engineered, some of it's concepts impressively so (inboard rocker suspension) but all of it agricultiural in execution so heavy and unpleasant welds. From what I remember it was 900kg on the scales so didn't feel nimble.
It's a complete one off and so can't be viewed as a Davrian or Darrian and doesn't drive like either.

It was a difficult car to drive, plenty of lag, heavy steering (the front end still carried the mounts and hubs for four wheel drive) and a gear linkage of "limited feel" meant it would be a crowd pleaser in the paddock but for sprinting it would run in sports libre and be a solid last, it may be an interesting track day device. As I looked and pondered it more I felt it would be a significant rebuild and modern safety kit to get it to the point it would be a car I'd be happy to use and so I sold it.

It does have a surprisingly original interior and as I recall the majority of the original suspension mounts were present so there could be a long project to return it to imp suspension, it also had it's original v5 present and so could be road drivable.

I'm not sure of the intent of the original question on this thread so won't say much more about itunless asked specifically. I take it that it's resurfaced?

Cheers all,
Sam
motorsportjohn

Post by motorsportjohn »

Thanks for the info - I look forward to hearing more!