Davrian Mk6

Post pictures of your car here for others to see!
intrepid
Site Admin

Re: Davrian Mk6

Post by intrepid »

Nice job Dave! What colour are you going for?

I have almost finished my sons Mini so will be getting back to the Mk6a shortly - looks like I have a fair bit of catching up to do.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Thanks cliff, 99% it will be yellow as it's been that colour for most of my ownership. Strange that now i can see an end to the bodywork repairs i cann't leave the car alone!, havn't touched a customers car in over a week!.
Also been a silly boy as i've bought a mk4, picking it up on Sat. :roll:

Dave.
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

look forward to some new pics on Saturday evening then...
Iain

Post by Iain »

Good to see the progress on the Mk 6.
Did you buy the mark 4 'cos you are feeling so close to the end of the project that you need another one..?
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Where did you find it ?
I'm a little bit jealous as am looking for a Dav myself at the moment , but adverts are thin on the ground ( Hens teeth and something from Rocking horses spring to mind!) If you hear of any others hiding in garages do let me know.
Regards
Iain
bexxxhill

Post by bexxxhill »

Wow Dave! I have stumbled across this site by accident having heard there was a chance the Mk6 was going to be remade, only to find you on here, with my one time DI56091. Must say you have made a much better restoration than I ever could have done - once I had bought the Carter 5 bearing engine/gearbox, and the new parts from Tim, I ran out of money and time :(

It is so good to see the old girl again, and in so much better condition. She brings back many memories. I really need to get back into Davrians again - it has been too long.

Keep up the good work Dave, and I look forward to seeing her finished :D

Nick
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Dave,

Congratulations on the build, looks good.

I have had a Mk 6 sitting in a warehouse for the last 15 years in a state of disrepair and having finally got a garage will be able to start the restoration at some point in the near future (assuming house restoration is finished). I have been a previous Davrian owner and ran a Mk 6 as my everyday car from 1986 through to 1994 followed by an Audi Quattro Turbo (bit of difference) http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickdixon6 ... 225819907/ . The car still exists and runs around in the Lincolnshire area.

The car to restore is set up nicely engine wise (998cc BVH 40's) but I'm interested in the suspension and brake setup you have put on yours - could you post a specification for this - make/model of discs brakes/calipers etc.

As soon as I get the car down I will start posting some progress, but in the preplanning phase at the moment.

Many thanks

Dick
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Nick,
Hi, i guessed you would find the forum eventually!. Car is coming along nicely but i will be too old to drive it if i don't hurry up a bit!. Did you sell the Clan as well?.

Dick.
How strange is that, i was looking at the pics of your old Dav on Google images only last week.
My suspension arms were made by Tim Duffee at Darrian cars (paid for by Nick!) Discs are 10" also from Tim but possibly Saab. Rear calipers are from a sierra, fronts are nothing special girling twin pots fitted to many 80's cars, front pads are from a Jensen Healey. I may update the calipers once the car is on the road but i'm preoccupied with just getting the car one colour all over at the moment!.

Dave.
dickdixon1

Post by dickdixon1 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that information, will prove useful when I start.

Posted some new photos of the project at the same link http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickdixon6 ... 225819907/

Cheers

Dick
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

It's been some time since i've done an update on my Mk6, a tale of woe sort of.
I'd been waiting for my promised slot in the paintshop and with time and life whizzing by it was Jan when i went back to see if it was my turn yet. All i got was a shoulder shrug and told it was too cold to be painting fibreglass cars. I repair and restore classic cars for a living and have to agree the first three months of this year have been no fun for working on cars!.
I returned again last week and found the unit empty apart from some new fence panels.
I've approached other painters i know but most are either very busy or not happy to paint 40 year old kitcars as a decent finish can't be garanteed. I have just received one estimate by email for £5400 from a company that has a good reputation for painting glassfibre cars, it seems a lot considering i've stripped all the paint, fitted new panels and rehung the doors and i'll be refitting all the parts!!. Perhaps i'm out of touch with prices but giving £900 vat to the gubbermint so i can have my car looking nice pi##es me off somewhat!.
Not sure where i go from here with it, luckily i have the Mk4 that drives so i can't complain!.

Dave.
tom.goldsmith

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Dave if you do the prep and filler work ill paint it for you for what it cost me in materials plus a small drink. it will be a garage paint job so don't expect it to be a perfect finish but it will be flat and straight and free from runs i promise you that. You can look at mine as a gauge of how good a job it will be, or ask Gary as he has seen my car.

Tom