Grahams Mk 6

Post pictures of your car here for others to see!
graham

Grahams Mk 6

Post by graham »

Finally been prompted into action to join this forum. Well done cliff, keep up the good work.
Wee, here's a pic of my Mk 6. Built from a discovered shell that had never been painted or registered.
I got it on the road for the first time in 1999, so I suppose you could say I am it's first owner?

Picture is from the Teeside Autodrome in 2008 at the Imp Club National Weekend, Yorkshire.
Heathrow Area Centre Organsiser (The Imp Club)
graham

Re: Grahams Mk 6

Post by graham »

The Imp Club National weekend track day at Anglesey was a brilliant drive and incident free, but it ended with the Davrian sounding a little bit more "ticky" than it did at the start :(
It goes when you pick the revs up a little, but not worth risking any further damage. Checked valve clearances all ok, sounds like a valve might just be touching, as it does not sound as nasty as a bottom end knocking.
So I've borrowed Dad's bike carbed 998 :D

As you know, Imp dizzies can sometimes jump out. This one from an O Series (Marina/Sherpa/Rover SD1) has a decent base flange that even lines up with the original studs, so should hopefully not be going anywhere!
graham

Post by graham »

Hi All,

Just to let you know I'm still alive, just thought I'd post a few pictures.
Hope nobody's Davrians floated away in the floods. Things started to get a bit too close for comfort here in sunny Ashford, as it's not far from Chertsey, Datchet, Egham and Runneymede heavily featured on the national news.

Woodstock has just been Sorned, but engine and gearbox has just been taken out. Dropped a gearbox off for overhaul to Dave Weedon a couple of weekends ago as I have decided to go back to a standard box to enjoy the car on the road again.

Hope I get the credits correct here. These first 2 are from Anglesey 2011. Courtesy of Neil Lambert. http://www.lambosport.co.uk

This one from Lydden Hill courtesy of http://www.snappyracers.com

The next 2 are just pics by me
Woodstocks interior, I must get round to making some door cards!

The first Davrian I ever saw. Lydden Hill, guessing around 1988.

Cheers
Graham
graham

Post by graham »

Nice new shiny, strengthened gearbox now picked up from Dave Weedon, and fitted in the Davrian.
All standard gears and ratiios to keep it civilised for the road, but had all the strengthening tweeks done.

Above and below are the upgrade plates for the pinion head bearing cage.

Strengthened casing, and also fitted with a competition diff pin.

Run it up today, and just drove it a few inches back and forwards before hopefully fitting the back on tomorrow
Minimole23

Post by Minimole23 »

That Davrian looks spot on. Nice gearbox tweeks too.
graham

Post by graham »

Nice new MOT yesterday :D , so now taxed again for the first time since it last expired Feb 2014 :oops:
Finally able to try all 4 gears since Dave Weedon waved his magic on the gearbox.
graham

Post by graham »

It's only taken me 17 years, but I've finally made a door card for the drivers side!
Still a few finishing touches to do, and also need to paint or cover the inside of the door where the yellow hits out.
At this rate, I might even get the passenger door done before I'm 60.

I know it might look like a left hand arm rest has been put on a right hand door, but there is method in my madness.....
Behind the door card is another bracket fixed at the back edge of the door which the handle part of the arm rest bolts through. This way, when pulling on the door handle, I am pulling on the arm rest bracket right near to the door latch, and not pulling on the door card itself.
Before I had the door card, I had got so used to pulling the door shut by holding the back edge of the door with my left arm, that the handle positioned like this is actually very comfortable to operate.

Picture below is of local gathering at the Walton Bridge Breakfast Club, just to let you know I am still using the car.

graham

Post by graham »

Door cards are both just about finished. Chrome strip across the top, is quite a nice little touch care of some plastic trim for tile edging from Homebase (other tile centres and shops are available ;) ) Decided a window winder would be too complicated, hence the hole in the middle.

Shock horror :o finally finished a trimmed seat:

I've no idea when the passenger seat will get done. This one took months! (of occasional work, when the inclination took me :oops: )