rob from somerset's Mk6

Post pictures of your car here for others to see!
robfromsomerset

rob from somerset's Mk6

Post by robfromsomerset »

Hello everyone.
I've always wanted a Davrian especially a Mk6 even before I had an Imp, and even more after I scrapped my Imp. Others came, some of them went (Loti/VX220/Landy series/Sprite/Jag) but the Davrian itch remained. Proper light, decent shape, doors (seriously, proper cars have doors) affordable etc. fast forward 20 years, wife & 4 kids later..........

I bought this from eBay earlier this year for a fiver under my max bid, having said to my wife 'it'll probably go for alot more'. I think I've already apologised to my fellow bidders for that remark. Sorry, but it's true.

It's a very nearly complete car rather than a kit of parts but it needs more than just 'finishing'. Biggest issue is the paint which is falling off, due to micro blistering (and in some places macro blistering), and having stripped the paint, the issues hidden beneath.

This is a slow project progressing after due consideration to my family, work, our house, cubs, and the rest of my fleet....but here is a taster of what it looked like in April from the sellers eBay ad. You can see the paint issues, bubbles over the whole car.

It looks a little different right now, but is very much WIP.

Comments always invited, more updates and questions from me to follow.
Attachments
$_57_4.JPG
robfromsomerset

Re: rob from somerset's Mk6

april 2015 021.jpg
Looks OK from feet away. Definitely a 'Joan Collins' finish.

The front isn't fitting too well, seems a little high.

Then I took a look at the radiator installation. The front clam is resting on the top of the rad. Hmmmm. Add that to the list, oh and Yes that is a Tie Wrap holding on the rather large coolant tank. Class.

Here's the pic.
20150418_103218.jpg

You may notice that the wheels have changed.

it was on 12" rims, now on genuine 6x13" minilites...however i also managed to pick up these
wheels.jpg
wheels.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 6449 times

I think that they are the same as the wheel Davrian used on the demonstrators and some of the publicity shots, for the MK6. different from the Emery designed wheels used on earlier cars? interesting to have them, but they may look lost in the arches to current tastes. (5 1/2" and 6")
robfromsomerset

Re: rob from somerset's Mk6

I've bought an engine. A 930 L5 as fitted to a Godiva 350/250 fire pump.

Yes there are a few minor differences (more to come on this) but this should speed the process of just getting the car on the road, after I've run it in....since it appears to be virtually brand new. It didn't even have any wittness marking on the starter pinion!

the exhaust manifold is interesting since it ends in a flat 4 bolt flange, making it an easy option for turbo-ing? not sure of the height for an oil drain into the sump though. The cable operates an exhaust gas diverter flappy thing to enable the centrifugal water pump to self prime, which is a neat trick for a not-positive-displacement-pump.

I've got a header tank as well now, and this one still has Godiva sticker on it.

I wonder if the pump set up has any value other than scrap, even the gauges all work.
Attachments
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600.jpg