Davrian Mk6

Post pictures of your car here for others to see!
Dave6091

Re: Davrian Mk6

Post by Dave6091 »

Hi Soyuz,
I am using sierra rear calipers also so template should be ok, altho very little is the same on two Davrians!.
Long flat bar is located underneath just in front of the xmember and has the eyelets for the safety belts screwed in to it and also carries the rear bracket for the gearchange tube.
Did you take any pics of my car at the hillclimb?.

Dave.
Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

Dave6091 wrote:Hi Soyuz,
I am using sierra rear calipers also so template should be ok, altho very little is the same on two Davrians!.
Long flat bar is located underneath just in front of the xmember and has the eyelets for the safety belts screwed in to it and also carries the rear bracket for the gearchange tube.
Did you take any pics of my car at the hillclimb?.

Dave.
Ah, OK. On my car the safety belts were just secured using single plates about 75x50mm and I got rid of gear change support bracket and fitted a high quality universal joint instead.

Yes I think I have some photo's of your car at home. with the oil cooler mounted above the rear number plate. I'll have a look when I get home.

I'm trying to think of the guys name who had it at that time, Nick Tutt ? possibly iirc.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Another update, i must be getting old as it seems to take me ages to put things back together! :lol: .
New wheel bearings and kingpins on the front, the kingpin sets now come with bronze bushes which have to be reamed to size.

I've used superflex bushes on the arm pivots and shock bushes, std shocks for now just to get it assembled i shall order new protech adjustables next month.

Superflex bushes again on the rear along with new wheel bearings. I'm having to alter the shock mounts for the coilovers as Tim has identified the arms as late modsports which fit a later chassis, bit of a bugger as i'm going to ruin some of my nice powdercoating!.

The four calipers are on the way back from classicar so next job is to fabricate a balance bar setup on the pedalbox unless anyone has one for sale!.

ttfn,

Dave.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Time for an overdue update!.
The master plan was to have the Dav inside over the winter to press on with some bodywork repairs but having three other classic cars i got sidetracked somewhat!!. However have managed to finish a few things this month. The steering column was strenthened with new brackets as the glassfibre had cracked badly behind the dash and fitted the new triumph steering nuckel that i found on ebay. Also used a new style nylon top bush obtained from Malcom Anderson which fitted perfectly.
Also finished fitting the rear coilovers. This turned out to be a bit more involved than i thought as the car was built originally on std imp springs and a previous owner had attempted to fit coilovers by cutting a large hole in the chassis and mounting them on to the engine cantilevers with pieces of dexion. Ended up doing a fair amount of glassfibre work (which my son Steve enjoyed as it's new to him) to make room for the new top brackets.

Next to do is the body shell which will need repairs, i have decided to cheat a bit and buy a new back end from Tim as it's badly crazed and the engine lid has almost come apart completely!!. Steve has also told me to have the cantilevers powdercoated as they were the only part of the car we hadn't removed!.

Cheers,

Dave.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Evenin' all,
Haven't been on here for a while so an update is overdue!.
Have to say that the bodywork is taking an age, it seems neverending and i must admit that i am struggling somewhat!.
The shell is suffering from a lot of crazing particulaly at stress points and old accident damage uncovered by removing the numorous layers of paint. The lower door hinge pins have ground large holes into the sills and many of the holes where the panels are bolted together have broken away completely.

Chassis moulding lenthened by around 5" to support the front end plus repairs to the shock bracket tops and remaking the cross piece that had been cut away for some reason! :

Stripping the paint in the pedal box area uncovered more old repairs:

Had to make a small wood mould to remake the wing corners that had broken away:

The unused front end which must be over 10 years old had relaxed and was now 2" wider than the car :o . Only way round this was to cut and re laminate the edges...why is nothing ever bloody simple on these cars!!:

New rad and fan looking rather better than the original:

Decided to cheer myself up with some new wheels and tyres, 7x13 revolutions. Spot the cat!:

Tim has made me a new rear end and engine lid which will be fitted next plus still more crazing to deal with, if you hear any manic screaming coming from the Essex area it will be me!!!!!.

Dave.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Spured on by Garys pics of his painted mk5 i got up this morning determined to finish something today!!.

Bulkhead panel ended up looking not bad compared to the previous pic of it!. My son Steve joined me in the afternoon and we had most of the windscreen surround ready for primer before it got dark.

Altered the front to take nicer looking indicator units a couple of weeks back.

Carbs restored ready to go on :lol: :lol: :shock: .

Just got to try to keep doing something every day, cheers Gary, i owe you a pint!!.

Dave.
Blade

Post by Blade »

No thanks needed. When they're both done we will meet for a pint. Anyway this is what this forum is all about. We're all mad according to our friends and family so we need to give encouragement on the forum. As far as your car is concerned, I'm dead jealous because you seem to have the know how and skills to do the work yourself where as I only have a vision. When it gets back home I hope I wont spoil it with bad workmanship on my part!
Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

I found this when looking for a photo of something else. It was at Pestalozzi hillclimb around 94 or 95. Looks a lot healthier now.

Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Thanks for the pic soyuz, i havn't any photos of the car when it was in it's red phase!. I had not long sold the car to Nick when this was taken deciding that having basically worn the poor car out i had neither the time nor inclination to restore it again. Ironic that i should buy the car back a couple of years later and am now doing exactly that!.

New rear end fits quite well after small alterations, i took the inner arches from the old panel.

Nick had intended to sprint and hillclimb the car so had to fill in the webasto roof hole, unfortunately water got into the repairs and it delaminated. This plus some huge star cracks made me give up trying to repair the bl##dy thing so i have got a larger roof panel from Tim and will start again.

I sometimes wish i had stuck to my original decision 15 years ago! :lol: :lol: .

D.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Hope this running commentary is still of interest to anyone! :lol: .

Roof panel fitting went very well over the weekend, Tim used a coremat composite in the new panel which has put lots of rigidity back into the roof.

Took about an hour to get a nice snug fit then held in place with small bolts and washers which kept the two edges level:

Ground the surfaces away then a layer of rovin plus tissue:

Sanded the new resin surface flush to the panels ready for a skim of filler:

Ground the edges about 3" inside the car and laminated two layers of 450gm mat upside down which was interesting!!, You need an umbrella!. Roof is totally solid..well happy.

Had some undersize bushes made for the lower door pins so hopefully will have the doors fitted tomorrow, must be getting close to booking a slot at the spray shop...Blimey!!!! :D :D .

D.