Water Pump - Talbot Sunbeam 930

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
beebee

Water Pump - Talbot Sunbeam 930

Post by beebee »

Does anyone have any info about fitting the B1 engine water pump to the standard Imp engine. Is it a better pump ? It seems to be more easily available and cheaper but I'm a bit confused as to whether the same pump was fitted to the 1.3 and 1.6 models. It also seems the pumps are different for fixed fans and electric fans. Has anyone done a conversion ?
graham

Re: Water Pump - Talbot Sunbeam 930

Post by graham »

Hi Beebee

Use these on all my Imps and Davrian. Very neat when running a fromt rad, and yes I am sure they are better than an Imp one.

The front part of the pump is the same for the 1.3, 1.6 Talbot / Avenger. It is just that the 930 Sumbeam has a remote housing rear section.
You're right regarding different types depending on fan type, but that just refers to the flange on the shaft where the pulley bolts on. So this can be rectified whilst choosing a pulley configuration.

The 930 housing has a flange on the base, that has an elbow bolted on, which also houses the thermostat. If you disregard the elbow/thermostat and blank that off with some bracketry, you can then hang the alternator off it which also tidies up the engine bay.

Hope the pictures explain all....

Cheers
Graham
Heathrow Area Centre Organsiser (The Imp Club)
beebee

Post by beebee »

Hi Graham
Thanks for all the advice and the excellent photos. I can now understand the appearance of pumps for sale which seem to show only the front part of the pump. I suppose the remote housing rear section would be a separate item. I have a 930 pump on a B1 engine, but I'm reluctant to transfer it to my Imp engine as I don't know it's condition. I would prefer a complete new pump but new items for sale are confusing.
I like the arrangement for mounting the alternator - as you say - very neat. The brackets are no problem but the pulley wheel looks like a custom job.
Recently I noticed that some performance Imp/Davrian cars have electric water pumps fitted to replace the belt-driven pumps (but costing up to £180 !!) My car is road-going but I wondered if there were any advantages apart from a few more bhp. Have you heard anything about electric pumps ?
Regards
Bob
Last edited by beebee on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
beebee

Post by beebee »

I decided it would be a good idea to use the 930 pump. I now find that the 'pumps' advertised do not include the impeller housing. These 'pumps' are only worth buying if you already have a housing. I have not managed to find anyone selling complete pumps or impeller housings.
930 pump.jpg
930 pump.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
This is typical of what is widely on sale
930.JPG
930.JPG (31.02 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
So where do we go from here ?
Bob
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi Bob, I have fitted an electric pump on my davrian, very worth while
the engine runs at 90 degrees despite all the right foot can give!
If you look at the pic in car logger you will see i have modified the
imp casting to take the pump. If this is not to clear i will try and find
some more pic of it.
Dave6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
beebee

Post by beebee »

Hi Dave
Thanks for your advice. You've got so many photos of your Mk6 I couldn't find the one you describe. In any case I've seen how it's done.
Hillman Imp electric pump.JPG
Hillman Imp electric pump.JPG (12.61 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
My main concern is reliability. Overheating is the kiss of death for an Imp engine. Fan belt failure is a rare event in a road car and I'm not sure about the life of an electric motor which runs continuously in a quite hostile environment.
Let me know what you think. I'm grateful for your help.
Bob
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi Bob, As far as I'm aware they are reliable ,I have a control box and you can
set it to any temp you want. Also use K seal in the water, I use it in all
engines I rebuild not just imp but Astons, bentley, It wont block the rad
but it will stop the odd leak in the system. I personally I like them.
All the Best.
Dave6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
intrepid
Site Admin

Post by intrepid »

Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

beebee wrote: I have not managed to find anyone selling complete pumps or impeller housings.
I have a complete one for sale, It is listed in the for sale section.