Fuel System

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
beebee

Fuel System

Post by beebee »

Does anybody have a clear idea of what the completed fuel system should look like for a standard road car. There was a previous post about cross-syphoning but not much else. I've tried to find a simple answer to measuring fuel in the tanks. All the tank sender units I've seen are no use for this depth of tank (450mm) which is also narrow. Without some sort of gauge, a switchover valve for the tanks seems essential so I assume this is the most common arrangement.
This is less than ideal for any long distance driving.
What about fuel lines - what material is best - I've considered copper, aluminium and silicone but it's still not clear which I should go for.
Any suggestions guys ?
intrepid
Site Admin

Re: Fuel System

Post by intrepid »

My car is a standard road car and the previous owner ran dual electric pumps (one per tank), no one-way return valves and separately switched pumps. When one runs out you just switch pumps and refuel the empty tank at the next station - simple but effective.

I am keeping the same arrangement but may instal non return valves. Fuel line is conventional rubber hose.
Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

intrepid wrote:My car is a standard road car and the previous owner ran dual electric pumps (one per tank), no one-way return valves and separately switched pumps. When one runs out you just switch pumps and refuel the empty tank at the next station - simple but effective.

That was because the little valves in the SU pumps are in effect 'non return valves'
I am keeping the same arrangement but may install non return valves. Fuel line is conventional rubber hose.
The Facet pumps I gave you with the car already have non return valves fitted in them as I bought them as a twin tank kit from FSE and they fitted valves into them when I bought them.

If you are fitting a new fuel line it's best to use either Kunifer tubing (for competition use) or plastic (for road use only).
motorsportjohn

Post by motorsportjohn »

When I first installed twin FACET pumps to my Mk8, I initially suffered the problem of fuel transfer between tanks but this was solved by obtaining matched pistons and springs from Facet.