caster !!! to much

Post pictures of your car here for others to see!
gtm4honda

caster !!! to much

Post by gtm4honda »

Hi all has any one got an idear on how to lose some of the mad amount af caster these things have,would lowering the front part of the front arms help,just a 20mm spacer maybe.
In hairpin type corners its far to hard to turn in quickly.
Any help or idears would be great.
Dean.
Team Dav-Tec :)
davrian6140

Re: caster !!! to much

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi Dean, to adjust the caster take the stub axle out of the arm
and pack under the casting . a bit of a job good luck
dave.
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
gtm4honda

Post by gtm4honda »

Not sure i no what you mean,i had planned to pack under the front mounting points for the whish bones,a 20m alloy plate fixed to the car then just bolt the front arm plate to it,it would tip the front bushs down,it would also move the angle of the king pin.
Best i have a look.
Thanks Dean.
cheeser

Post by cheeser »

Hi Dean,
Glad the car is going well in the main and hope your development continues to improve it.
Interested to hear that you are finding the caster too much(I think there may have been some confusion with camber in a previous post?). My understanding is that the large amount of caster that the Imp ( Davrian and Clan) use is down to the light weight of the cars and the fact that the car is rear engined so the caster provides a much more stable car at high speed. Obviously your car is a little different being transverse mid mounted. I have not heard of people changing the caster, but I do know many of the Imp experts do not advise small steering wheels especially on rally cars where a pothole can snatch the wheel out of your hand if only of small diameter. Altering the caster may have other knock ons, like changing the camber but more importantly introducing bump steer, which can be difficult to eradicate.
My best thought is that you should contact Tim Duffee at Darrian (if you haven't already), he has vast experience of all configurations of engine in Davrians for use on both stage and tarmac rallies, so can advise on suspension/steering set ups.
So good luck and where and when is your next event?

Robin
gtm4honda

Post by gtm4honda »

Hi Robin,i have found a few problems,the rack ends were odd,so more lock one way than the other,rack had no grease in it and to much preload so tight to turn.
The car was about 10 seconds of the wiining pace on a 10 miles stage first time out !!
Have fitted new 2 way AVO`s this weekend,new drive shaftes will be done this week i hope,and a 2nd steering coloum brace to stop flex,hope that gets me 4 - 5 seconds back + the time in the car so getting use to it.
If that works my new 220 bhp engine can go in later this year.I like to learn how hard it can be driven with the standard 150 bhp lump thats in it now.
Next event 17th 18th May the TSH stages another 90 mile 2 day sprint !!
Dean.
Team Dav-Tec