Lose the roof

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Mark Raymond Lewis

Lose the roof

Post by Mark Raymond Lewis »

38 years ago a friend and I built him a Davrian. The arrangement was that once we had built his we would build mine. Unfortunately, my father died just as I was to buy the kit, priorities changed and that was the end of a Davrian for me.

I retired recently and mentioned to my friend that I was looking to finally get to build a kit. I was thinking on the lines of something with an open top and my friend, very generously, suggested that I have his Davrian as it has been garaged and unused for 30 years.

Having looked at the Davrian, which is in good condition but will of course require a full refit, it feels rather more claustrophobic than I remember and my ideal solution to this would be to lose the roof (shock and horror). I realise that there could be integrity (albeit I remember the floor pan of the mid section being very robust) and insurance issues but was wondering if you have any knowledge of similar mods or failing that whether it would be possible to fit some kind of fabric roof panel. Any info appreciated.

Mark
cheeser

Re: Lose the roof

Post by cheeser »

Try this link on the New Davrian Register site http://www.john.rawlins.com/ndr1/_wp_ge ... 4c1594.jpg it clearly shows that the monocoque can manage without a roof.
I'm sure John Rawlins will have more info on the car and can probably give you some suitable contacts
Mark Raymond Lewis

Many thanks Cheeser that is exactly what I was looking for, I will follow up.

Mark
Iain

Post by Iain »

Hi Mark ,
Its got to be worth you contacting Tim Duffee.If he doesnt know it, its not worth knowing with regard to what you can and cant do with a Davrian. He still has moulds for earlier cars and still builds them , aswell as the current Darrian evolutions

Iain
Mark Raymond Lewis

Many Thanks Ian. I have now established contact with Tim and am looking into my options.

Mark
m.colin

Post by m.colin »

Hi Mark, I think it would be fairly easy to lose the roof on an early davrian, the ones without the rear buttresses, but it would be hard to do a tidy conversion on the buttressed cars methinks. However, looking sideways at my MK 5, I think the way to go would be a targa top, in fact the longer I look at it, the more it appeals to me. Now where did I put that angle grinder? Cheers, Mike.
Mark Raymond Lewis

Mike

Thanks for the thought. The Targa conversion sounds interesting but I would still have the integrity/insurance issues.

Mark
Iain

Post by Iain »

I've always thought the targa panels from an MR2 or something might be nice.
While theres a hole in the roof Tim could fit you a full FIA roll cage and be done with all integrity issues! Notthat I think there'd be any anyway.
m.colin

Post by m.colin »

Lots of Mk 5's had sun roofs, including mine (since fibreglassed over by a previous owner) so I would have thought integrity was not a problem.
Mike.
Mark Raymond Lewis

Ian

I have since spoken to Tim and from what he says it looks like without the roof there would not be enough rigidity but he can raise the roof so I am exploring that option.
Thanks

Mark