Davrian Mk3 1/2 Modsports race car

Post your entries here for items for sale or parts that you are looking for...
Sam G15

Davrian Mk3 1/2 Modsports race car

Post by Sam G15 »

Hello all,
Due to developing yet another hair brained scheme I will offer my Davrian for sale to fund the nonsence. Don't worry, though if no-one wants it then I'll keep slowly building it.

but here's the summary:
It's around 1967/68 and has been used as a racer for as long as living memory, having spent most of it's life on circuits over in Ireland, there have been a lot of tales of it being a car that Will Correy had, but that cannot be determined, we do know it's not the works car, for that's back with Tim Duffee, but this does sport a lot of good features. It has the Davrian modified fully adjustable rear suspension, based on imp trailing arms but modified for coil overs and adjustable shocks. The front suspension is imp modified swinging arms, with the later style front suspension triangulation for the coilovers. this car is loooooowww!

The front is a heavily modified mk4 with wide arches, the rear is a mk6 with mk7 arches, and has an awful lot of venting, apparently it did run an alfa flat four for a while, but all it present for an imp box and engine. It has the 1" driveshafts fitted.
It arrived (and is photographed) with it's "transit wheels" which are off a Talbot Rancho! I've also a set of M*n* minilite style 13" by 6" wheels that could be used on it.
It has the twin tanks still fitted, and the radiator is fitted and seems good. It has it's screen in good condition too.
The doors are extensively lightened and as you'd expect from a racer. What is intruiging is that due to it being an early one it does not have a thick layup on the shell, apparently the earlier ones were built as road cars firstly, so no forrest spec heavyweight shell.

It has a full cage, the rear half picks up the turrets and is quite a good design, I have also used this to suspennd the engine mounts from, a little unusual but means a very lightweight method of keeping the engine off the floor.

It has the Davrian modified disc brakes all round but is missing the rear calipers, the fronts are present. The bias adjustable pedal box is in place, with master cylinders (although they are old).

My plans were to sprint the car instead of my G15 and to run it with a turbocharged engine setup, but you may fancy another route, so the price depends on quite what you want to have with the car, so here goes!

Rolling shell, as above, standard gearbox, well I think it's standard, it had helical gears but I can't be bothered to count teeth, grubby mk2 engine and a very broken 998 (5 998 pistons, one crankshaft with roller bearing end bush, an early 998 block with a big hole in the side and one knackered liner): £2,000 ono

Rolling shell, as above, standard gearbox from the above list, very nice L4 engine which is complete, van pistons, and turbo inlet manifold and T2 turbo that need a rebuild, which is the spec I was building towards: £2,500 ono

Rolling shell, as above, the standard gearbox from my G15 with the Sunbeam Imp Sport 890cc balanced engine with an R17 spec camshaft, lightened flywheel from the G15, running Strombergs and Janspeed large bore exhaust through a Scorpion end can, which would make it nippy enough: £3,000 ono

Or the Kahuna, ultimate behemoth, moon shot, equaliser, A-Team build, which would be a good for a classic race hillclimb or sprint class:
Rolling shell as above, close ratio straight cut gearbox, 998cc engine with a imp sport head and cam, pair of weber '40s and a combined manifold (which needs a little repair) £4,750 ono

Phewee! What an ace load of justice you will be buying with this, or if you prefer you could offer me around £9,000 for the Ginetta, which has just been resprayed too!

So, the car is in Southport, feel free to phone 07786 070732 or pm me and I'll let you have all the information you want!

Cheers, and see you on the track!

Sam
damien

Re: Davrian Mk3 1/2 Modsports race car

Post by damien »

Hi there,
This car looks very like the one I raced in the mid 80's. If there is any trace of a powder blue colour on the car, then that's it.
I certainly did own a Mk4 which I grafted a Mk7 front onto it(which was detachable) triangulated a frame in the front to reinforce the front suspension, made an adjustable pedal box , front mounted the radiator, Jag twin fuel pumps, I made new steel fuel tanks and mounted them in the area with foam, (the fuel caps are screw-on. I made a front roll cage, There was a factory rear hoop in the car. I put (all round)disc brakes on the car (rear discs being modified Mk2 jag units) and the strange thing was I sold the rear discs off the car not too long after I had finished racing the car. I cannot remember what shocks I had on the car, but I do remember making both the font and rear suspension adjustable whilst retaining the original suspension arms
The pictures of the car now shows it with a different rear end, it wasn't detachable when I raced the car.
I did win a race in the car and the car still holds the 1lt hill climb record at Croft Hill Climb in NI
damien

Post by damien »

picture of my Davrian
Attachments
IMGP0445.JPG
IMGP0445.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 6357 times
Sam G15

Post by Sam G15 »

That does look like it and it's also the correct colour that was under the red. There was also dark green that seemed to be in the gel coat.
Anyhow, I will try to track down the Austrian dude who now has the car and let him know! By the way many thanks for phoning to let me know, I really was halfway across Australia and asleep at the time! A place called Smokey Bay!

Cheers!

Sam
damien

Post by damien »

Digging around in my records, I have just found some details for the car. It's a 1968 car and the chassis number is D1 4011.

It was also raced in the early 1970's as I have found race results of 1972 where a Davrian was raced. Not knowing of any other Davrian in Ireland at the time, it must have been the same car!
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Is this car still for sale?
damien

Post by damien »

Hi Tweety.

Sam (the guy that originally posted the thread) has said that the car was in Austria, however when we briefly chatted, he mentioned that the car was in Holland.... I owned and raced the car in the 1980's. I gave up racing it because the engine continually gave trouble and I couldn't easily get a replacement, The straw that broke the Camel's back was when I eventually put a piston out through the block! I then bought a Crossle formula Ford and raced it.

I don't know who has it now, but whoever it is, they have a great car and worthy of a different engine a gearbox

Damien
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

OK thanks.