Does anyone lay claim to building this mk 5

List known surviving cars here
tom.goldsmith

Does anyone lay claim to building this mk 5

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Hi this is a couple of pictures of my car when i brought it.
registration UUW 7OM

It was left in the car park of a college i attended 10 year or so ago. I was originally attracted to the car because of the number plate but ended up buying it for 350 pound (long story which i will post one day) and have been since restoring it .

As it will finally be finished this year and i would like to get it back on the road as well as the track. I have the old green card logbook but no v5, DVLA have no record of the car but im hoping they see the light and let me have the reg back. any info which may help me would be appreciated.

If you owned this car I would be interested in the history.

Thanks Tom Goldsmith
Attachments
Dav7.JPG
Dav7.JPG (861.55 KiB) Viewed 10314 times
Dav3.JPG
Dav3.JPG (742.16 KiB) Viewed 10314 times
Dave6091

Re: Does anyone lay claim to building this mk 5

Post by Dave6091 »

Hi Tom,

Looking at the pics the car looks familiar and i'm sure i visited it and the owner many moons ago.
The guys name was Neil Bennet and i remember that the plumbing for the rad had been done very neatly but in solid copper pipe!. It was definatly a yellow Mk5 and i took him for whizz round the lanes in my 6 to spur him on to finish it. I know the world is full of yellow mk5's so i may be talking bolox but i took pics of the car which i will try and find.

Dave.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

:oops: A quick look tho' my 30 years of old Davrian stuff show Mr Bennets car was D1 5/4039 XEB399L, UUW 70M is D1 5/5056 owners: TC Harper, P woolgar and Nigel Sutton is most recent.
John Rawlins may have more up to date info.

Dave.
tom.goldsmith

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Nigel Sutton ,
Yes thats they guy I brought it from. He had left it at the college for a respray and they never did it. following I think at least 5 years of vandalism, being used as a rubbish bin due to the broken window, and a trampoline judging from all the damage to the roof the college had been told by the HSE to scrap all the 6-8 cars left for years outside the automotive dept. No one new who the davrian belonged to because it had no record of owner at the DVLA and the college staff that had took the job on had left. They wouldn't let me take it even after offering a donation and told me I would have to find the owner which hadn't been there in years and they had no contact details for. Luckily I called a favour from my old tutor and managed to get the contact details of an old lecturer that took the car in. He put Nigel In contact with me and I saved the car a weekend before it was due to be scrapped.

I wonder if it was TC Harper who built the car originally, I have the old green card log book and it is his name that is on it.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

If the green log book has the original district stamp at the bottom of the second column then it's probably the original, replacements were rarely restamped there in my experiance. I've always found DVLA very helpful when dealing with classic registrations over the years, the trick is to stick ridgedly to any form filling that they ask of you and be patient!. Also always do high res copies of any documents you send as if the old registration document is lost then it's game over.
UUW 70M is shown on the NDR so a short note from John may certainly help.

Dave.
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

XEB 399L was mine up to a few years ago i remenber seeing the name bennet on the old green logbook i wrote to all the former keepers listed but heard nothing i got the car from a guy in cambridge it was in a state i went on to restore it and did very well hillclimbing and sprinting it the dvla had no record of my car but armed with the old log book i went to the local office and got a new v5 and kept the reg no the car is now in finland and being restored again as after ten years of racing was getting tatty there is a few pictures of it under my wanted advert the davrian bug has not left me yet :D
PAW

Post by PAW »

ibbo wrote:XEB 399L was mine up to a few years ago i remenber seeing the name bennet on the old green logbook i wrote to all the former keepers listed but heard nothing i got the car from a guy in cambridge it was in a state i went on to restore it and did very well hillclimbing and sprinting it the dvla had no record of my car but armed with the old log book i went to the local office and got a new v5 and kept the reg no the car is now in finland and being restored again as after ten years of racing was getting tatty there is a few pictures of it under my wanted advert the davrian bug has not left me yet :D
Ibbo's memory serves him correct. The ownership history of the XEB399L, from the green log book currently under my nose; Howard Dyson in Burwell, Neil Bennett in Gillingham, Ibbo in Bletchley and now myself in Espoo Finland. Has there been someone in between Bennett and Ibbo, thagt Ibbo needs to fill in.

XEB399L's current standing referred here; http://www.davrian.net/forum/viewtopic. ... =275#p1083
'Driving too fast is not allowed but it's not forbidden to accelerate too fast' - Joop
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

I have: H Dyson, E Smith, N Bennet, A.J.Randall and Mark last.

Dave.
tom.goldsmith

Post by tom.goldsmith »

went to the dvla office today and applied for the log book, engines now running and cars off to the rolling road march 21st of march
motorsportjohn

Post by motorsportjohn »

Details of this car from the NDR records are:

UUW 70M
DI/5/5056

Previous Owners:
T.C.Harper, Paul Woolgar and Nigel Sutton