race alternator

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
tom.goldsmith

race alternator

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Does anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight race alternator to fit my 998. Don't really want to refit the big old one i had originally.
Dave6091

Re: race alternator

Post by Dave6091 »

I have used Wosp products on several classic cars and have been happy with both quality and price. They do a nice fast wind starter for the imp and stock all sizes of race alternators.

http://www.wosperformance.co.uk

Edit: Just remembered you have to order tho' a stockist, i use http://www.ccw-tools.com who seem to have the keenest prices.

Dave.
tom.goldsmith

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Thanks dave
I like the look of the starters, gunna have to order one of them as well now,

Heres a pic of my engine as you can see i have already modded an old alternator on to it using a piece of tread bar it works but the charge light on the dash only goes out once you have given it some revs, this may be due to the pulley or maybe on its way out either way its a heavy beast. I had a look at the alternators on the above site and theres alot to choose from, doesn't look like some of them will fit do you have a type you could recommend ?
tom.goldsmith

Post by tom.goldsmith »

998 engine
Attachments
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0986.JPG (311.21 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

The only alternators i've had are updated units to replace the prehistoric chrysler units fitted to Jensen Interceptors, not much help i'm afraid!.
I'm sure there's a pic of an engine fitted to a yellow mk6 on here somewhere showing the correct alternator.
I have the same 17acr alt' you have fitted to my Mk4 and that also needs a blip on the throttle to put the light out, i think it's to do with the alloy pulley ratio. With an R21 cam it doesn't stay lit for long!!.
Nice looking engine you have there Tom, only one problem...there seems to be a spec of dust on the fuel regulator! :D .
Have you any pics of the whole car?.

Dave.
tom.goldsmith

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Going to start painting the front and rear panels this weekend then once there on and ive finished the last few jobs ill share some pictures with all.

Well if your alternators the same i might just order the starter and run with what i have for the min.

thanks for the comments it will be one clean car by the time its ready.
Soyuz

Post by Soyuz »

The Nippon Denso units that are fitted to Japanese and Korean cars are nice and small. I think Graham Cashmore has one fitted on one of their cars.
yellow6

Post by yellow6 »

Hi Tom

I've used the Wos Electrics alternator and starter on my Imp engined Mk6 and have been very pleased with them.

Both work well but in the interest of reduced power loss I've started leaving the alternator off for racing. The large pulley is your friend at 8000 +rpm as it keeps the alternator speed down to a sensible level but might cause a problem if used for road driving .

Have you changed that scary clutch yet?

All the best

Roger
Attachments
Engine with Wos alternator and starter
Engine with Wos alternator and starter
P1010924.jpg (150.53 KiB) Viewed 6365 times
tom.goldsmith

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Hi Roger

Picture of your engine looks good, What model or serial number is your alternator?

Honestly its a poor excuse but ive been so busy the last month with other projects i haven't done anything with the Davrian, that said i did buy a straight cut gear box for it and plan to send a fly wheel to ben so he can fit a new clutch cover and lighten balance it for me. once thats done i will fit them both together.

dont want to risk damage to my engine and gearbox with the old exploding clutch.

Tom