Mk5 to be reassembled

List known surviving cars here
marknjf

Mk5 to be reassembled

Post by marknjf »

Afternoon, all. My first post. I am finally getting the time to work on my red Mk5. It has been awaiting attention since 1985 or 6 when I sadly wiped the front bodywork off the car in a 750MC Kitcars and Specials event at Castle Combe. Since then I have worked out of the UK for 15 years, been sidetracked with other cars, raced a Ginetta G12 (also waiting to get to the front of the queue for attention, but another story) got married, had kids and built a house. Kids are becoming more self sufficient so it's time to get back to the Davrian.

Per the V5C the VIN is D/5 5072 (actually appears as D155072) and the current reg is MNJ7. It was formerly registered as CNJ818K. First registration 10/12/1971. I bought it from a chap in Cheshire in 1981.

Once back together its spec is - hardtop shell, pop up lights (although I have a TIm Duffee front with the small fixed headlights which may go onto it) seam welded suspension arms, Viva disc conversion on the front, adjustable shockers, Malcolm Anderson CR transaxle, 1ltr Wills ringed block with block strengthener, balanced internals, twin Dellorto 40s, unknown cam. The suspension and engine came in a job lot in about 1983/4 from a guy in Essex (near Chelmsford) who was dismantling a lightweight circuit Imp. I think I paid £400 for the lot. It went beautifully for about half a dozen races in 1985. I'd love to see it stretch its legs again.
tom.goldsmith

Re: Mk5 to be reassembled

Post by tom.goldsmith »

Hi I too have a Mk5 ive been on and off working on mine for the last 9 years, but should have it finished this year. Im planning to make mine road legal but have it set up for race use and hope to do some sprints and historic racing. whereabouts in the country are you?
would love to see some pictures of your project posted up :0)

Tom