Long wheel studs

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
Hal Mercier

Long wheel studs

Post by Hal Mercier »

When we built the Mk 4 in 2001, I couldn't locate any 75mm UHL studs to fit the Imp hubs, so I had some made...only the guy couldn't do splines. They were 'interference fit'.....only not very. ie they were a tad too small to be a tight enough interference fit.

This is not a good idea, as it won't withstand the torque of tightening, and of course means you can't remove the wheel if the things turn in the hub.

We put a spot of weld on the heads to hold them.

One broke on the right rear, many years back, and I've just finally removed the wheel, complete with hub, caliper, and suspension arm....

Does anyone know the spec of the stock stud's splined part? I can't find my original studs to check.

I need a set of 75mm under head length studs with splines, I THINK Imp threads are 7/16 UNF, is this right?

We remembered to tilt the car so the gear oil stays in....easier to pull the entire shaft out than try detaching the doughnut....which is far more difficult to replace on a Jack Knight box.

Wheel removed for welding....

Last edited by Hal Mercier on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davrian6140

Re: Long wheel studs

Post by davrian6140 »

hal the thread is 7/16th unf, turn the bolt under head 10thou bigger dia
and get it knurled and press it in the disc.(just like that). of course you
have to start of with a 1/2 inch bolt.
Dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

10 thou over? You reckon that'll withstand an air wrench? I suppose if you do this yyould also have to turn out the holes in the hubs, as otherwise your interference fit would be onto the splined hole! Not best practice....

In fact I think there's a problem with some of the threads on the rear studs, as my wheel nuts will go on all the front studs no problem, but resist strongly on some of the rears. I'll take a die to them.
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Spline dia on ford 7/16 wheel studs is 13.1mm not sure if imp is the same.

D.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

I must have another search....
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

you need to speak to ben boult for extended wheel studs he had a batch made in the right size have them fitted to my davrian his website corley-conversions.co.uk
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

ibbo wrote:you need to speak to ben boult for extended wheel studs he had a batch made in the right size have them fitted to my davrian his website corley-conversions.co.uk
Thanks, I'll do that.
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Ben supplied the studs and they are now fitted. Next is sort the failed MC seals and she will be back in running order....just as my French fleet insurers have decided to no longer insure the car, due to it still being on a UK plate.

No problem getting a French plate as it's over 30 years old....must crack on with this.