rebuilding davrians

Forum for Davrian topics and questions...
davrian6140

Re: rebuilding davrians

Post by davrian6140 »

thanks riddy, just driven the car for the first time but not fast enough to
get out of balance.[ see shammycoupes elsewhere]
dave6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

FCD 284X Davrian MK6a . Just to let you know M.O.T one week to day.
Tax it 1st August 2011. Only 11years after buying it.
See you at Mallory.
dave6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Dave6091

Post by Dave6091 »

Excellent, Steve and i will keep everything crossed for you. Hope they don't fail it on excessive use of stainless steel!!.

Now have all the parts to replace the brakes on the mk4 and i'm also starting to assemble the 1040 engine, all seems so tiny after 7litre jensens!. Will have a good try at getting the car running for mallory..can only do my best.

We visited Dave on friday evening after the Goodwood festival as he is only up the road in Midhurst. Had a close look at the Mk6 and must say it will be one of the best once it's on the road, built to a ridiculously high standard no wonder it took 10 years!. Nice job Dave, i'm going to have to aim higher now with my own Mk6!.

D.
beebee

Post by beebee »

Hi Dave
Just aware of your post about rebuilding Davrians. You were helping with my water pump options and I thought I should explain where I'm at. I've had lots of Imps and variants in the past but I was always defeated by rust. I bought a new Mk8 in the early 80s just before the company went bust. I thought it would be easy to build a legal road car but I was wrong. It was just one hitch after another. I wanted the car to remain as original as possible but to upgrade where clear problems existed, such as electronic ignition.
My downfall is being an engineer and a perfectionist - lots of plans but not enough action. For example it took me a year to get wheels with the correct? offset and size ( Imps4ever- wheels ) A recent burst of energy has again stalled due to lack of information.
I have Davrian suspension, including rear dampers and disc-brake system. Tim Duffee provided verbal set-up advice but this was 20 years ago and there was never any written guide (to my knowledge). I'm not really a try-it-and-see person - I need to calculate first. Even now I'm not even sure if imp front springs are ideal for a road car in spite of all my calculations. A huge number of opinions are available but these are usually for high-performance rallying or racing cars.
Rant over.
Hopefully can benefit from your expertise.
Regards
Bob
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi bob, send me your address and phone no to my pm and we can
hopefully hook up some time. If you are not to far away I would
like to see your car.
dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
beebee

Post by beebee »

Hi Dave
Car is in Dundee and currently dismantled with bits everywhere.
Not much worth seeing at the moment.
Also renovating my house in a big way so all is chaos.
I'm concentrating on getting all the small but essential bits and pieces to complete each system.
Re-assembly has stalled on the use of stainless steel bolts and brackets under the car. There have been some posts about this but as yet I'm undecided. I've has lots of bad experiences with seized rusted underbody bolts.
All the suspension parts have been refurbished so this is the first step.
I'm working less hours so I can devote more time to the Davrian.
I'll certainly keep in touch when I'm less embarrassed about my lack of progress.
Regards
Bob
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

Hi all davrian owners, I have just started to make up some new
driveshafts cv joints each end. This will be much better than the
rotorflex couplings, at the same time I plan to modify the outer
hub bearings as they also getting costly, when completed I will
lay out drawings and components used and what mods are
required, watch this space!
Regards
Dave6140
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

What gearbox will the driveshafts be for?

I have several Jack Knight race boxes (two 4 speed and a 5 speed) and I've had problems with the splined part that goes into the diff shearing at the base of the splines.

I bought the last replacements that Jack Knight had when one let go some years back, but looking at it, it's not machined right....I'll take some pix to show what I mean.

Are you intending to do replacements for these parts too? There must be a market!
Hal Mercier

Post by Hal Mercier »

Question for anyone who recognises these calipers, what are they from? This is Dave Cooper's Mk 6.

I need rear calipers with cable operated handbrake for the Mk 7 rebuild. These look good, but I've no idea what they are exactly! Does the braking system work properly with these rear calipers or does the pedal travel increase drastically?
davrian6140

Post by davrian6140 »

HI Hal, the caliper on my mk6 are from a ford sierra cable hand brake
and no problem with long pedal travel. I use a .700 master cylinder for the
rears and the .625 for the fronts . the fronts are 4 pot calipers.
Dave
Dave Cooper
davrian6140

Mk6a DAV 373H